GRDA Readies For 2017 Big Meat Run
Spring has obviously neared when you see the increase of dust in the air and hear the noise of thousands of off-road vehicles in the Disney area during the annual “Big Meat Run” that is set to take place in the spillways below the Pensacola Dam.
March 24 and 25 are the dates for the second largest rock-crawling event in the country that will bring an estimated 12,000 – 14,000 people to the area during the event.
Both GRDA properties and the town of Disney will be filled with off-road enthusiasts from around the country that will spend the weekend challenging their skills and vehicles with the very best of gravity-defying off-road activities.
Registration for participants will be at the Disney City Hall.
GRDA Police will be out in force to ensure a safe environment for all during the weekend event.
Officers will be actively patrolling in 4×4 vehicles, ATV’s, boats and in the air in an effort to ensure rapid response and effective enforcement of laws and regulations.
In addition to the obvious violations of Driving Under the Influence, Reckless Driving and Operating a Vehicle with an Open Container of Alcohol, there are a number of other regulations that GRDA Police enforces on users of state property that participants should be aware of, all of which can result in a citation or arrest including:
- There shall be no four-wheel vehicles, off-road vehicles or all-terrain vehicles on GRDA lands except in designated areas.
- No passengers are allowed on three (3) wheelers, four (4) wheelers, or motorcycles.
- Drivers must operate in low gear only, except on trails posted at speed limits in excess of five (5) MPH.
- No racing on GRDA property is allowed, except as otherwise permitted by a sanctioned event permit.
- All vehicles, including motorcycles, must be equipped with working front and rear lights.
- Dune buggies and 4×4 vehicles must have a roll bar sufficient to support the weight of the vehicle and must have a seat belt for each passenger.
- Alcoholic beverages, including low point beer, are prohibited from areas in which off-road activities occur.
- Drivers shall obey all signs posted on GRDA land including areas that are off limits and speed designations.
GRDA Police will be actively enforcing these regulations, so we encourage all participants to know the rules before they come to play. Further details can be found on the GRDA website at GRDA.com.