Meet Fuzzums and Fable – two beautiful brown tabby cats at Second Chance Pet Rescue. Their New Year’s wish is for a forever home for each of them. Contact the shelter at 918-786-7630 for more information about Fuzzums and Fable and how you can adopt them or any of the other available cats or dogs residing at Second Chance Pet Rescue of Grand Lake. Our New Year’s wish is for every animal at our shelter to be adopted into a loving home in 2017.
As 2016 winds down, Second Chance Pet Rescue wants to take a moment to thank everyone for their continued support of our life-saving, non-profit animal rescue organization.
Second Chance Pet Rescue provides an invaluable service for homeless animals in need, caring for them 365 days a year and providing them with food, shelter, medical care, and love.
We operate with limited resources, with the shelter staff and volunteers doing their best to care for a population of homeless dogs and cats which numbers seem endless.
Phase I of the Shelter Expansion Project is a 2,560 square foot addition to the current shelter facility in Grove is now complete. This addition added 18 indoor dog kennels with outdoor access, a 350 square foot cat room to relieve the overcrowded housing of cats, 3 isolation/quarantine rooms, an on-site food pantry/storage area, and an additional laundry/dog bathing area.
An Open House for public viewing of this new addition is tentatively scheduled for Spring. Watch for an announcement of the date.
We continue to transport our shelter dogs to Animal Humane Society in Golden Valley, Minnesota.
We are also a MuttNation Foundation program participant – a national program that transports adoptable dogs and puppies from shelters in communities with significant pet overpopulation to animal shelters where there are more opportunities for permanent adoption.
Hundreds of dogs have been transported just this year alone, but this effort continues as pet overpopulation continues to rise in Northeast Oklahoma.
Would you like to get involved with Second Chance Pet Rescue that does so much for animals, people, and the community? Try one or all of the following ways to help. Don’t be surprised if you end up feeling good and having fun as well.
- Keep on giving. As a private, non-profit animal rescue shelter, we rely entirely on donations to keep our doors open to save lives. Write a check for a tax-deductible donation to cover shelter’s daily operational expenses; donate quality merchandise to our Second Chance Thrift Shop for resale; or go shopping for items on our “Wish List”. Call the shelter and ask what they need most before you take your shopping trip for the cause.
- Volunteer your time. Socializing shelter pets helps them become better equipped to transition from shelter life to their new homes. Spend an afternoon playing with cats or become a walking buddy to the dogs. Can’t be hands on with the animals, then volunteer for behind-the-scenes activities, such as fundraising or grant writing. There are many volunteer opportunities available – one that will surely fit your interest.
- Foster a shelter animal and enrich their lives and yours. By offering your time, energy, and home to an animal in need, you prepare an animal for adoption into a permanent home as well as prevent overcrowding in our shelter.
- Don’t shop but adopt a “Best Friend”. Animals make great companions, but please don’t shop for a pet from a backyard breeder or a pet store. Adopt from an animal rescue organization instead.
- Do your part. Spaying or neutering your pet is one of the most important things you can do to reduce the number of homeless pets. Contact the shelter office to make an appointment with our Wednesday low-cost spay/neuter clinic or make an appointment with your veterinarian. Just do it today.
- Become a fan. Like and Share our Facebook page to read about the shelter animals and upcoming events, and visit our website www.doitforthepets.com to learn about our programs, see pictures of adoptable dogs and cats, and to donate electronically. Tell your friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors about the importance of supporting the Second Chance Pet Rescue of Grand Lake.
The Board of Directors of Second Chance Pet Rescue wishes all a happy and prosperous new year in 2017.