It’s time for the Fall Festival season at Grand Lake with all kinds of fun and festive activities for the whole family.
Here is a quick rundown of what’s to come this fall season – with links to website where appropriate. Also, all of these events can be found on Facebook, for those of you who spend your time there…
– 21st Annual Hook ‘n Cook Off – Saturday, September 13 is the day for the 21st Annual Hook ‘n Cook Off competition, hosted by the South Grand Lake Chamber of Commerce, that has become one of the favorite annual events held at Grand Lake and settles, at least for one day each year, who cooks the best fish, hush puppies and cole slaw in the Grand Lake area.
This year’s Hook ‘n Cook Off takes place at the South Grand Lake Regional Airport with family friendly fun getting underway at 11 am.
Cooking teams are judged by a select group of judges as well as everyone in attendance.
In addition to some of the best food in the area there will be a live music, a market place filled with vendors, a kids zone, vintage airplane rides, and even a Car & Bike Show. Advance tickets are currently on sale.
For more information about entering a cooking team, having a vendor booth, entering a car or bike to show or purchasing tickets, visit www.grandlakechamber.org/hook-n-cookoff or contact the South Grand Lake Area Chamber of Commerce at (918) 782-3214.
– Miami FestiFALL 2014 – September 11, 12 & 13 Downtown Miami is the place to be for the annual fall celebration in Miami, OK.
Activities and events include a crab boil, golf tournament, chili cook off, live entertainment, a 5K run, car and motorcycle show and the annual sidewalk sale.
Find out more about the Miami FestiFall celebration at their website: http://www.miamiokchamber.com/news/FestiFALL.htm.
– 2014 Taste of Grand – Saturday, September 20 is the annual Taste of Grand fundraiser for the local INTEGRIS Foundation.
The event features fabulous food from nearly 20 restaurants and caterers, an excellent selection of wine and one of the best bands in the four-state area.
– Langley 75th Birthday Celebration – Saturday, September 27, 2014 will mark the day that the Town of Langley will celebrate it’s 75 birthday.
The Birthday festivities will be packed into one huge fun filled day, including a Kids Zone with pony rides, turtle races, inflatables, face painting and a pet contest. There will also be a Kids Fishing Derby at the Langley Courtesy docks.
For more adult oriented events the South Grand Lake Lions Club will host there Annual Chili Cook-off, First State Insurance will host a Car Show and the Langley Police Department will offer a chance to Dunk A Cop.
But the main event will be the ever famous and popular Langley Outhouse Race.
The evening will wrap up with a Street Dance featuring Don White, beginning at 6:00 pm.
For more information about individual events, vendor information or sponsorship please contact Carole Free at Town of Langley at (918) 782-9850.
– 8th Annual Lion’s Club Chili Cookoff & Tailgate Party – Saturday, September 27th is the day to be in Langley as the South Grand Lake Lions Club hosts it’s 8th Annual Chili Cookoff & Tailgate Party at the Langley Ball Fields from 11 am to 2 pm.
This year’s Chili Cookoff takes place the same day as Langley’s 75th Birthday Celebration, so it will be a big day all over town!
In addition to the Chili Cookoff, there will be a prize for Best Tailgate Food.
The entry fee for chili is only $25 and the entry fee for Tailgate Food is $10.
There will also be area vendors with arts, crafts and all sorts of fun stuff set up throughout the park.
If you would like to participate as a contestant or a vendor, you can pick up an application at Langley Tag Agency or Grand Lake Medical Park in Langley, or call Tami Bailey at 918-527-8780 or Sheryl Hicks at 918-636-0088.
Tasting kits will be available for $5.00 in advance and $6.00 at the gate.
Advance tasting kits can be purchased at Langley Tag Agency or Grand Lake Medical Park in Langley.
– The 31st Annual Pelican Festival – Friday and Saturday, September 26th & 27th are the dates for the annual Pelican Festival in Grove that celebrates the fall migration of the American White Pelicans to Grand Lake every year.
So much goes on at the Pelican Fest, it can be hard to keep track of it all. From the Saturday morning parade through Downtown Grove to the arts & crafts, entertainment, carnival at the Grove Civic Center and even free admission on Saturday at Har-Ber Village, there is a ton for you to do.
*** Updated August 29th *** It was originally planned that there would be a Big Bass Extravaganza as part of this year’s Pelican Festival. But, that event has been canceled…not by the Grand Lake Association but by the event promoter. GLA apologizes to those of you who were looking forward to this Grand Lake fishing event.
– 2014 Grand Lake Fall Festival & Food Truck Rally – October 11th. Downtown Grove. Oh Yeah! The Lawn at the Grove Community Center is the place to be on October 11th for Antiques, Retro, Repurposed Items, and Crafts plus some of the best Food Trucks in the region!
Almost all of the businesses in Grove also participate by offering great sales throughout the weekend. More details about this great event as it gets closer.
So, there you have it. A quick, probably not complete but pretty thorough, rundown of all the events taking place during the Fall festival season at Grand Lake.
Take one in, take them all in – although that might be hard the weekend of September 27th – and get out there and enjoy some Grand Lake Living!